Reading plans are a great way to read through Scripture with a guided set of readings each day. The Olive Tree Bible App offers many reading plan options. You can read through the whole Bible in a year, choose a plan that focuses on a specific section of the Bible, or choose a themed reading plan or devotional. This article will show you how to access and start a reading plan, how to set up a reminder and choose a preferred Bible translation, and more.
Accessing Reading Plans
The reading plan icon is on the toolbar at the top of the screen. Selecting this icon provides easy access to your reading plans.
Start a Reading Plan
Follow these steps to start a reading plan:
- Select the reading plan icon. Here you can browse the available reading plans. Your reading plans will appear at the top of this window once you have started them.
- Locate and choose the reading plan you would like to use. Select 'Start Reading Plan' to create the plan.
- You will be prompted to choose a preferred translation. You can either leave this on 'Recently Opened Bible' or you can choose any Bible or audio Bible in the list.
- Next you will be asked if you want to set a goal. If you choose "No, I would rather take my time", tap 'Continue to skip this step.
- If you choose "Yes, help me set a goal to complete this reading plan", tap 'Edit' and choose a different date. Tap OK on the pop-up window. Tap Continue.
- On the next screen, tap '+Add Reminder' if you want the app to remind you to read. Choose the day of the week (up to all seven days) and choose the time to set the reminder. You can add multiple reminders if you want to.
- Once you have set your reminders or if you have skipped setting them, tap 'Start Reading Plan' at the bottom of the window. The app will take you right into the first reading.
Devotional Reading Plans
We also offer devotional reading plans, which allow you to read supported devotionals in our reading plan infrastructure. When you download a devotional that supports this feature, a 'My Devotionals' option will appear at the top of the list of available reading plans just below your current plans. (You may need to restart the app to refresh the page if the devotional you are looking for isn't available.)
It is possible that some devotionals will not support this feature. You can see if your devotional supports this feature by checking the product features on www.OliveTree.com.
Accessing and Completing Assignments
Follow these steps to open your reading assignment for the day and complete an assignment:
- Select the reading plan icon on the toolbar.
- Locate the plan you want to read and select 'Continue Reading' to begin the current assignment. (You can also tap 'View Schedule' for more information about the assignment.)
- Once you have completed the assignment, select 'Next Reading' in the text to move on to the next assignment. When you come to the end of the day's final assignment, tap 'Complete Reading' to mark the reading complete or 'Next Reading' to continue to the next day's assignment.
Reading Plan Options
When you tap on the reading plan icon, tap 'View Schedule' on your reading plan. Additional options can be found in the upper right corner.
Tapping "+ Add Reminder" allows you to set up a notification reminder. This can be set for certain days at a particular time. Select a day and time to receive a reminder on that day. To add additional reminders tap "+ Add Reminder" again.
- Published By: This is the name of the publisher of the reading plan. This cannot be changed.
- Date Started: The starting date is determined by the date you create the reading plan. This cannot be changed.
- Projected End Date: This gives you the date on which you will have finished the plan; the date may change if you fall behind or complete more than one assignment a day.
- Last Date Read: The Last Date Read will tell you the last time an assigned reading was completed.
- Preferred Translation: Change the translation you prefer to use for this plan.
- Completion Goal: This will let you set or reset the completion date for your reading plan. The date will be shown here once a goal is set.
Delete a Reading Plan
Follow these steps to delete a reading plan from within your app:
- Select the reading plan icon on the toolbar.
- Locate and tap 'View Schedule' on the plan you wish to delete.
- Tap the 'i' in the upper right corner.
- Tap the Trash can in the upper right corner.
- Confirm you'd like to delete the plan by choosing 'Remove'.
We hope this article has been helpful for you. If you have any further questions about the reading plan feature in the Android app, please submit a ticket to our Support team. We are happy to help you!